Skip Navigation LinksHistory
St. Paul
Foundry
Banner

 Simplifying the Supply Chain For High Knowledge Content Components

St. Paul Foundry - A History of the Oldest Manufacturer In Minnesota

 

The following paragraph is excerpted from a book entitled "St. Paul - The Queen City of the North-West" which was written circa 1889.

 

ST. PAUL BRASS-WORKS COMPANY

The St. Paul Brass Works at the corner of Eighth and Minnesota streets can claim a respectable antiquity as things go in this city.  The enterprise was started in 1869 by W. F. Bailey.  Mr. C. W. Nitterauer joined in 1888, and Mr. G. N. Bailey, a brother of W. F., in 1886, but has no active part in the affairs of the firm.  The premises at the corner of Eighth and Minnesota streets have been occupied six years.  It consists of three floors in the brick building, 50x100 feet, and they employ 25 hands.  The works are run by steam power, and the specialties of production are brass goods, castings, railroad brass, babbit metal, solder and battery zincs; sole manufacturers of Randolph’s Metallic Compound for journal bearings, every variety of brass goods for engine builders, plumbers, gas and steam fitters, breweries, mills, etc., brass railings for stores and offices, metal patterns, all kinds of jobbing and experimental work, patent models and repairing of all kinds of machinery promptly attended to at reasonable prices, and steam gauges are tested and repaired.  The company is prepared to furnish estimates for any kind of work in their line, and their reputation is such that no work in their line can be done better.  Mr. W. F. Bailey came from the Granite state to Minnesota twenty three years ago, and has made his mark in the development of the brass industry of which the St. Paul Brass Works Company is the splendid expression and triumph.  Mr. Bailey is a member of the F. & A. M., a prominent factor in the Commercial Club and the Chamber of Commerce. 

 

In 1898 the company moved to 2nd Street and Wabasha overlooking the river. By then it specialized in the production of brass castings.

 

Plant at 2nd Street and Wabasha Circa 1898 (at left side of photo)

 

In 1928, Saint Paul Brass was purchased by Eugene Ryan, who operated the business as a proprietorship until November of 1946 when Saint Paul Brass was incorporated. It's current legal name, St. Paul Brass Foundry Company, was established at that time.

 

St. Paul Brass grew to a multimillion dollar operation nationally recognized for its technological advancement and the quality of its nonferrous cast products.

 

In 2011 St. Paul Foundry was purchased by Cervus Technologies. Cervus is privately held.

 

Saint Paul Foundry continues to operate today as Minnesota’s oldest manufacturer specializing in quality brass, bronze and aluminum sand castings, whose uses range from impellers to housings to valves to aerospace, from one to ten thousand, from ounces to 1200 pounds.

Banner
Banner
St. Paul Foundry
954 Minnehaha Avenue West
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104
(651) 488-5567  Fax: (651) 488-0908
Sales: (651) 312-4734 email

100% Manufactured in the USA      Copyright 2017